Travel Tips

Transportation from YVR to Downtown Vancouver

Vancouver International Airport (YVR) accommodates 17.5 million passengers annually and is the second busiest airport in Canada. YVR offers the shortest flying time between much of North America and Asia as well as being a gateway for Europe. Getting to and from the Vancouver International Airport (YVR) Information on public transportation, taxis, limos, shuttles, car rentals and driving directions, can be found on the website listed below. The brand-new, $2-billion Canada Line train, a legacy of the 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games, can transport you from the airport to downtown Vancouver in 26 minutes with limited stops. Tickets are $8.75 CAD from YVR to downtown Vancouver. Taxis are also a quick and easy way to get to and from YVR. The approximate fare according to the website below to downtown Vancouver is between $34 - $36 (taxes included).

Visit for detailed information about transportation options from YVR.


July in Vancouver has the fewest rainy days, most hours of sunlight, moderate humidity and is warm, but comfortable. June to August has daytime temperatures that linger just above 20º Celsius (70º Fahrenheit). Although the weather is expected to be warm and sunny, visitors may wish to pack an umbrella.
For up-to-date weather information, please visit

Time Zone

During the conference, Vancouver will be on Pacific Daylight time, which is UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) minus 7 hours. For reference, this means that the time in New York is 3 hours ahead and the time in London is 8 hours ahead of Vancouver. Hong Kong is 15 hours ahead of Vancouver.

Banks / Currency Exchange

The monetary system in Canada is based on dollars and cents. Banks are generally open from 10:00 to 16:00, Monday through Friday, with extended hours including weekends at some locations. Visitors to Canada are encouraged to exchange funds for Canadian dollars at Vancouver International Airport, at a bank or at a foreign currency exchange outlet where they will receive the prevailing rate. Most banks have automatic teller machines (ATMs) which can be accessed 24 hours a day. International credit cards are accepted throughout the country and traveler cheques can be changed at banks, hotels, resorts and the airport. Most stores and restaurents will accept US currency with a small discount
For up-to-date information, please refer to the Universal Currency Converter at:


Canada operates on 120 Volts, 60 cycle electric power, which is the same as in the United States. Non-North American visitors should bring a plug adaptor if they wish to use their own small appliances from home (razors, hair dryers, etc). If you are visiting from countries, such as Australia, that use a higher voltage, you may encounter problems charging your re-chargeable batteries. Canadian electrical goods come with either a two-pronged plug, which is the same as the US, or a three-pronged plug; most sockets accommodate both.

Sales Tax

During the conference, federal goods and services tax (GST) of five per cent and a provincial sales tax (PST) of seven per cent are applicable to most purchased goods and services.


It is customary to tip between 15 percent and 20 percent at bars and restaurants in BC. Tips are also given to tour guides, and for taxi services, spa treatments and haircuts. Porters at airports, railway stations and hotels generally expect $1-2 (CDN) per item of luggage.

Alcohol Laws

BC's legal drinking age is 19. Photo identification is required to purchase alcoholic beverages or enter institutions serving alcohol. Alcohol can be purchased in government liquor stores and at privately owned cold beer and wine stores. In British Columbia, there are stiff penalties for drinking and driving.

Passport, Visa and Border-Crossing Information

To enter Canada, a valid passport is required for citizens of all countries, including the United States.This is new for Americans as they didn’t need a passport before. Americans do not need a passport to get into Canada, but require a passport to re-enter. Visas are required for residents of certain countries. Please contact your local Canadian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission Office for the specific requirements for your country of origin.