PES 2011 General Meeting Student Activities
Local Students: Volunteer And Learn
Volnteers are needed to help make this event a success. Use your local experience to help others and get access to the technical sessions. For every 1/2-day you volunteer, you get an another 1/2-day free at the conference to help further your studies and career. If you are interested please review the volunteer flyer or contact Ian Hutt for details,
Student Support Program, Student Poster Contest
IEEE Student Members attending the PES General Meeting can apply for financial support and submit posters for the contest via this site. The Student Poster Contest will be held on Monday evening, 25 July co-located with the meeting's Poster Session and Reception. Please visit http://pesgm2011.rtpis.org for submission and application information.
Student Industry Faculty Luncheon and
International Job Fair for Students
Wed, July 27, 12:00 – 3:00PM (Note: Please check the on-site program for the exact location and time of the event.)
Marriott Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI. On or before 29 June $20 After 29 June $25
Offers Employers an Ideal Opportunity to Talk with Engineers of the Future
Offers University Students an Ideal Opportunity to Talk with Potential Employers
The Student Industry Faculty Luncheon with the International Job Fair for Students is a much-anticipated highlight of the 2011 IEEE PES General Meeting. The job fair provides a forum for both employers and students who share a common interest in the power and energy industry to meet and discuss career opportunities. It will enable one-to-one conversations between students and company engineers. Last year's event attracted almost 400 attendees.
Luncheon: 12:00-1:30 p.m. (doors open at 11:45 a.m.)
Awards will be presented to the students whose posters took prizes at the Monday Evening Student Poster Session. A keynote address by a highly-respected member of the profession will be given on a topic of interest to students. There will be drawings for student door prizes. Vegetarian meals will be available.
Job Fair: 1:30-3:00 p.m. following the luncheon.
Format: During the luncheon, students may sit with a potential employer at employer-supported tables. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. All industry and faculty attendees of the luncheon are encouraged to sit with students for informal conversations about engineering careers. After lunch, a dessert buffet will be served while students circulate among hosted recruiting tables for further conversations. They may also visit with PES members who are volunteering as career resource advisors.
• Eligibility: When you register for SM 2011, purchase a ticket for the Student Industry Faculty luncheon. That's it! The cost of the luncheon is $20 early bird, $25 regular and on-site. If you did not buy a ticket when you first registered, you can purchase one by editing your account (how-to information will be sent with your registration confirmation), or, you can also purchase tickets on-site if there are any seats remaining.
• Resumes: Optional. Some companies prefer not to collect resumes at job fairs. Consider using PES-Careers.org to post your resumes. Please do not send your resumes to the job fair organizers.
• Eligibility: Any company sponsoring a table at the luncheon may participate in the job fair. Table sponsorships make this student program possible and provide advertising for the sponsoring companies. Platinum sponsors of the General Meeting receive luncheon and literature tables as part of their package if they wish.
• Registration: To register for a luncheon table where you can sit and talk with students during the meal, and for a literature table during the job fair (a package deal), contact Barry LeCerf at 913-663-1112 or
. Please make your sponsoring arrangements by June 30.
• Company Representatives: The most appropriate company representatives would be engineers attending the GM, or other practicing engineers. Company HR recruiters may attend if desired. Two luncheon tickets will be provided with each luncheon table sponsorship. More tickets may be purchased on-site if available ($25 each). A majority of the student attendees will be graduate students, but there will also be undergraduate students present.
• Tables: A luncheon table and a job fair literature table will be provided to each luncheon table sponsor. Tent cards with the sponsoring company's name will be on both tables. Flags, signs, display boards, and booths will not be allowed. Your organization's tablecloth may be used on the job fair table.
• Literature Table Set-up: Doors opens at 11:00 a.m. for setup.
• Job Posting: Optional. Get the word out about your internships and entry-level job openings using PES-Careers.org to post your positions. The service is free and you can use your normal application process if you wish.
Reception and Seminar
hosted by Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD)
Wed, July 27, 5:00 – 6:30 p.m. (Note: Please check the on-site program for the exact location and time of the event.)
Marriott Renaissance Center, Detroit, MI. Free for registered attendees
The Graduates of the Last Decade will host a reception and seminar to provide an opportunity for all conference attendees, in particular, current students as well as engineers who have graduated within the last ten years to network, to meet executives of IEEE PES, and make contacts among their peers in the power and energy engineering community. You can find out how you can contribute to PES and how it can help you. All registered GM attendees are invited. Light refreshments.